Body Contouring is a term used to describe several surgical procedures designed to improve and reshape the appearance of the body. After a substantial weight loss, life changes, or pregnancy the skin and tissues often lack the elasticity. Surgical Body Contouring removes excess sagging skin and fat while improving the shape of the body resulting in a better and more proportioned appearance with smoother contours. Through such procedures as abdominoplasty, liposuction, and post weight loss surgery, our patients have a renewed self-confidence and feel more comfortable with their body. Our physicians are focused on helping patients reshape their bodies and enhance areas that may have proven resistant to the most rigorous diet and exercise routines. Our plastic surgeons will address these areas to give you a tighter physique with a more toned appearance.
Before & After
Can you combine Body Contouring procedures with facial procedures?
It may be possible and even advantageous to combine certain plastic surgery procedures. Doing so may achieve more comprehensive results with only one recovery period and only one surgical session. That said, your plastic surgeon will plan your desired procedures according to the safest protocols. It may be ideal to plan more time-consuming procedures like rhinoplasty and abdominoplasty separately, whereas it may be possible to combine liposuction and a facial procedure like blepharoplasty. All combined procedures are planned around the patient's needs, health, expected recovery, and time under anesthesia.
How long does body contouring last?
The body contouring procedures that we perform alter the body in ways that can be permanent. For example, liposuction removes unwanted fat cells and these never grow back. A mommy makeover that includes abdominoplasty tightens and trims muscle and skin that, with good health habits, should never stretch severely. The aging process does not stop after plastic surgery. However, the results of body contouring can last many years, if not indefinitely, aside from some degree of skin and tissue laxity. Healthy eating and regular exercise habits tend to be sufficient for prolonged, satisfying results.
What are the risks of body contouring?
Body contouring surgeries come with inherent risks associated with anesthesia. You can expect your surgeon to conduct a thorough medical history and examination to ensure that you are healthy enough to undergo surgery with general anesthesia. Labwork may be ordered in some cases. In addition to anesthesia, surgical risks include:
- Nerve damage
- Prolonged numbness or pain
- Asymmetry or inconsistent cosmetic results
- Fluid or blood accumulation beneath the skin
In general, body contouring procedures are considered very safe and effective. Talk to your surgeon about the protocols that they implement to maintain patient safety during surgery. Also, to reduce the risk of post-surgical complications, adhere to your care instructions after your procedure.
How do you prepare for body contouring?
To get the best results from body contouring, it is essential to begin the journey with the right information. This can be achieved by taking your time choosing the right plastic surgeon for your desired outcome. During your consultation, your surgeon can discuss their suggestion and their anticipated outcome. This helps you set realistic expectations and also know how to plan well for your surgery. Before scheduling, you will want to be at or near the weight you'd like to maintain. Also:
- When surgery is scheduled, inform your surgeon about all medications you are currently taking. Blood-thinning medications and supplements may need to be altered or stopped to prevent unnecessary risks.
- If relevant, stop smoking at least a few weeks before surgery. Smoking presents significant risks during and after surgery, as the habit strongly inhibits the delivery of oxygen-rich blood to tissues and organs.
- Eat a nutritious, protein-rich diet in the weeks before surgery. This helps supply the body with the building blocks for tissue recovery.
- Arrange the appropriate amount of time off work. Wrap up all important work projects before the day of surgery.
- Pick up prescriptions and supplies before surgery day.
- Arrange to have someone drive you to your surgery and take you home after you are released.
- Arrange for someone to care for pets and children for a few days, and for someone to stay with you as you recover.
How much weight can be removed with a body contouring procedure?
Body contouring procedures, including those that remove stubborn fat, are not designed for weight loss. They should not be relied on to reach your ideal weight. Generally, a procedure like liposuction can remove a few liters of fat and fluid. This may translate into a few pound on the scale, but there is no guarantee. What is a pretty safe bet after body contouring surgery is that the shape of the body will look dramatically better. Patients can expect to look and feel different in their preferred clothing. They can expect the treated area to look slimmer or firmer and generally more cosmetically pleasing.