Mommy Makeover is the combination of Body Contouring surgical procedures performed in a single session surgery or staged into more than one surgery that often combines an Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) and Lift or Breast Augmentation. The combination of these procedures is formulated to help restore the appearance and shape of a woman’s body after pregnancy. Our physicians are focused on helping patients reshape their bodies and enhance areas that may have proven resistant to the most rigorous diet and exercise routines.
Who is an ideal candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
Generally, healthy women who do not smoke are considered good candidates for a mommy makeover regardless of the age of their children. Some characteristics that surgeon’s look for when determining the best time for surgery include:
- Ideal weight. It can take a year or longer for the body to return to homeostasis after childbirth. One of the major indicators that a woman is ready for a mommy makeover is that she has lost all or nearly all of her pregnancy weight. This enables the surgeon to achieve the best long-term results, especially as it relates to body contouring. If a woman loses a significant amount of weight after a tummy tuck, she may be left with loose and sagging skin that requires a follow-up tightening procedure.
- Future family plans. The mommy makeover procedure is best done when one’s family is complete. Women who plan to become pregnant again are advised not to have this treatment yet because their outcome will be affected by the ways their body changes through pregnancy.
- Childbirth occurred six or more months before surgery. As we mentioned, it can take a year or longer for a woman’s body to return to its normal state of health after pregnancy and childbirth. If a woman chooses to breastfeed, she should wait six months from the time she stops to have her mommy makeover. This allows time for the breasts to settle into their permanent shape before having a breast procedure.
There are several points to consider before having a mommy makeover. During our consultation with patients, we discuss all important details, goals, and expectations to help each woman make the most confident decision for her body contouring journey.
Is a Mommy Makeover Safe?
Mommy makeover procedures have been performed for several years with significant success. According to case studies in which abdominoplasty was combined with other aesthetic procedures, complication rates were comparable to single abdominal procedures. Obesity has been the primary risk factor associated with unfavorable surgical outcomes. In one study, researchers found no significant difference in the complication rates between combination abdominoplasty and breast surgery patients and those who had only abdominoplasty. In addition to performing a comprehensive consultation and medical history, an experienced plastic surgeon ensures that proper surgical safety measures are instituted for every procedure.
What is included in a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover may include any combination of cosmetic procedures that she desires. The process is not limited to breasts and tummy. Some of the most common techniques that are considered for this makeover include:
- Liposuction, which sculpts areas where excess fat has accumulated. Liposuction is not limited to the abdomen. It may be performed on the back, thighs, hips, flanks, even the backs of the arms.
- Breast surgery. The breasts can deflate and flatten after pregnancy and breastfeeding. Some makeovers include breast augmentation with implants to restore volume and shape. Some include breast lift surgery to reshape the breasts using natural tissue. A mommy makeover can also include breast reduction. In the makeover, breast techniques can also be combined. For example a woman may choose to have a breast lift and augmentation at the same time.
- Abdominoplasty. This technique is a common part of the mommy makeover because it flattens and tightens the area most affected by pregnancy. Abdominoplasty may address only the skin and superficial tissue or it may tighten the muscle of the abdominal wall. In some cases, this muscle needs to be reconnected after pregnancy has caused separation known as diastasis recti. The abdominoplasty portion of the mommy makeover may also remove a C-section scar.
Ultimately, the mommy makeover is intended to be a fully customized approach to body contouring and, if desired, facial enhancement, too. During our consultation, we discuss each patient’s specific wishes for her procedure, downtime, and outcome and we tailor treatment accordingly.
How long does a Mommy Makeover last?
A mommy makeover can take anywhere from a couple of hours to about 8 hours. The length of the surgery is determined by the customized procedures involved in the case and how many areas are being treated. Mommy makeovers are performed using general anesthesia that is overseen by a board-certified anesthesiologist. Surgical equipment monitors patient vitals for the duration of surgery.
What is recovery like after a Mommy Makeover?
Like surgical times, recovery times can also vary from one patient to another. This can relate to the procedures that have been performed and also to the unique way in which each woman heals. Generally speaking, the mommy makeover recovery timeline may look something like this:
- Patients may return home the same day of their procedure, or they may arrange to stay a few days at a post-surgical recovery center where they will be cared for by licensed nursing staff.
- Prescription pain medication may be taken for 24 to 72 hours. After that time, most patients can switch to Extra Strength Tylenol for adequate pain relief. Patients should avoid all non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, such as Advil, ibuprofen, and aspirin, during recovery.
- Bruising can last from 1 to 3 weeks.
- Swelling can last from 2 to 8 weeks.
- Patients are generally ready to return to work 5 to 10 days after surgery.
- Physical restrictions may last from 2 to 8 weeks, even when a patient resumes certain activities.
- When liposuction is performed, the treatment area may be tender, sensitive, or numb for up to 3 weeks.
- Breast surgery patients may be sore or tender for up to 3 weeks.
- Stitches may need to be removed about a week after surgery.
- Patients must avoid tobacco and alcohol for at least 2 weeks
Schedule a client consultation
To learn more about Mommy Makeovers or other cosmetic surgery procedures, schedule a consultation with Cosmetic and Reconstructive Specialists of Florida by calling 954-533-8029. We serve Fort Lauderdale, FL and nearby areas.