Patients who have had a mastectomy or lumpectomy as part of their breast cancer treatment often consider breast reconstruction surgery. The procedure rebuilds one or both breasts and is typically performed in stages that involve multiple procedures and can either begin immediately following a mastectomy or be delayed to a later time.
At Cosmetic and Reconstructive Specialists of Florida, we offer two types of breast reconstruction surgeries, implant-based or autologous. Implant-based reconstruction uses breast implants to help rebuild a new breast, while autologous reconstruction uses the patient’s tissue from another part of the body to create a new breast.
How Do You Know Which Procedure to Choose?
During your initial evaluation with our specialists, you will be asked numerous questions about your health, diagnosis, lifestyle, and desired reconstructive results. Some factors to be considered in deciding which reconstructive options will work best for you include:
- Unilateral versus bilateral reconstruction
- Total mastectomy or nipple-sparing mastectomy
- The need to perform a lift (mastopexy) or reduction on the healthy breast for symmetry
- Size, and the shape of breasts
- Your body type
- Your lifestyle
- If you are still undergoing radiation or chemotherapy
Our reconstructive physicians will review your medical history, and the above factors before discussing your various options.
Benefits of Implant-based and Autologous Breast Reconstruction Surgeries
Each type of breast reconstruction surgery offers unique benefits that can make one procedure a better fit for some clients.
Some of the advantages associated with implant-based reconstruction are:
- Decreased length of surgery and downtime
- No additional scars
- Satisfactory shape
Autologous reconstruction also has some advantages including:
- Reconstructed breasts will feel more natural
- For unilateral reconstruction, it provides for better symmetry
- No implant-associated risks present
- Better nipple projection and reconstruction
Like any surgical procedure, there are a few disadvantages to both types of breast reconstruction treatments. These will be covered during your initial exam with one of the board-certified plastic surgeons. Contact Cosmetic and Reconstructive Specialists of Florida online or call their Fort Lauderdale, FL office at 954-533-8029 to schedule a consultation.